High School Students
Why Detroit Promise?
The Detroit Promise is a last-dollar scholarship that ensures all eligible Detroit residents have a tuition-free path to an associate degree, bachelor’s degree, or technical certificate at participating academic institutions.
Steps to Become a Detroit Promise Scholar
To become a Detroit Promise Scholar, graduating seniors must complete the following steps:
- Step One - Apply for the Promise
- All eligible students should complete their Detroit Promise registration to confirm interest in receiving tuition assistance
- Step Two - Apply to Colleges/Universities
- Submit your application to Promise's partnering two-year/four-year institutions
- Step Three - Submit Financial Aid Documents
- Submit the free application for federal student aid (FAFSA) and make sure to list the partnering institutions you are considering
- Step Four - Register for Courses
- Complete course registration to begin classes at a Promise partnering institution
Who is Eligible for the Detroit Promise?
Many seniors who live in Detroit and attend high school in Detroit are already eligible. Visit our website for more information on our community college and university requirements.
Detroit Promise Partnering Colleges
The Detroit Promise offers a tuition-free path to trade, two-year, and four-year credentials at 26 partner colleges and universities in Michigan. Click below to get started on the path to the right college for you!